Chilled cucumber soups always seemed a trifle bland to my taste, so I experimented with this recipe, one of the easiest you will ever find. The radishes add a nice little zing to the flavor, making the soup very refreshing. You can make it 2-3 days in advance if you keep the soup well chilled in the icebox. Best of all, no cooking required!
- 1 cucumber, about 1 pound, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 10-12 large radishes, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill, divided (can 2 teaspoons dried, if preferred)
- 1 pint buttermilk
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the cucumber and radishes into a food processor along with 1 tablespoon of the dill. Process on high until thoroughly pureed.
- Add the buttermilk and process a few seconds until blended.
- Pour into a bowl, add remaining dill, plus salt and pepper and stir until blended.
- Chill until very cold.
Should yield 5-6 eight ounce servings of a very pale soup flecked with red and green, very pretty.
Yes. It’s that easy.
Vonn Scott Bair